On Friday, 17 March 2017 03:14:39 UTC+11, A M Alfaro wrote:

> Arlen,
>

> I'm a part of the minority which cannot use USB sticks at work. Security
> recognizes and blocks flash drives. The more restrictive my environment
> becomes, the more I dread the day I can't even get TW at work. I tired to
> email a copy of my project management wiki to myself at home and it was
> blocked based on content and file size. I imagine one day I won't be able
> to email myself an empty wiki from home to work, which is what I did to get
> it last month. I could get to the website but couldn't download an empty
> copy.
>
> ---
>
> And
>

> I think I get the analogy you're trying to make, but I believe the premise
> is slightly off because Excel is a complete package, meaning it's designed
> from top to bottom for all "parts" to work together. Tiddlywiki and the
> browsers are not designed that way. The only way to solve that would be for
> Jeremy to repackage the single file application as that "Excel"-type of
> program. I don't know anything about the JSON side of TW, so it could be
> that it provides this type of solution (?).

No - I haven't expressed myself clearly, but I think we actually agree. The
problem is that TW *isn't* a single-file architecture. It needs other
programs to support it, not just an OS. and now, increasingly those
programs don't. So I think the problem is deep.

> Also for clarification, TiddlyFox is just a FireFox addon that smooths the
> user's saving experience. It isn't a tool being manipulated by TW which
> seems to be how you're describing it. In fact, what you're describing as
> the future of TW is already in trouble and continues to be TW's recurring
> problem. Browser security continues to evolve in ways that close off the
> function TW needs to smoothly save over itself. That elegance is at the
> mercy of the browser developers.
>
> My bad - I was thinking TiddlyDesk, but my fingers were thinking something
else. IMO TiddlyDesk is the only future of the so-called single-file TW.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/aff9590b-642a-40c9-b1b7-01d359502616%40googlegroups.com.