Josiah,

This has being discussed in the past, Eric Shulman raised some money by
crowd source for some documentation in the past. There is always a degree
of complexity in these questions given the strong "open source" nature of
tiddlywiki. Any derivative work is only possible because of the prior and
mostly volunteer work (excluding some support historically). There seems to
me to be two areas where it may be helpful to allow/promote financial
recompense;

   1. Work on tiddlywiki or a necessary plugin for and on behalf of the
   community
   2. When an adaption is created by a TiddlyWiki enthusiast/developer for
   a third party to do work or to meet a need

I limit this to two as historically the value of tiddlywiki has being in
adaptions being returned to the community for open use and I would like to
see this continue, and I hope to contribute there myself. In the second
case I believe there is some obligation to return any adaption back to the
community even if you provided tiddlywiki design as a service, in effect to
pay for the platform you are using.

In the second case it may be more appropriate if the fee charged the third
party was no more than providing their email address, to obtain access to a
prepared  adaption, or by commission to do the work to make a customised
adaption, but any advances/plugins/techniques must be returned to the
community.

In the first case, it would be nice to build a pot of money perhaps through
crowd sourcing that the community could then apply to good works on behalf
of the community, but we do not want this to put a dampener on volentary
contributions.

As someone currently building a business I would love to include tiddlywiki
in some services and solutions but do need to exact a fee so I may earn a
"right livelihood".

I would love to hear others perspective or example cases.

Regards
TonyM

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8e026c58-b2cd-40b4-ac2c-41e4910725d0%40googlegroups.com.