Hi,

As I wrote in the "What if?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/iC1ZNZHVU8A/e6Gjioy8BgAJ>"
thread, I think, it would be nice, if we (98%) adopt commonmark - markdown,
and make the rest of the TW syntax (transclusions, widgets, ... ) a subset
of the new syntax.

At the moment, the biggest problem of the TW parser is, that the "parse
tree", that is created is _not_ lossless. So converting plain text to the
internal AST <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree> looses
the whitespace info.

So it's not possible to do:

TW syntax -> AST -> TW syntax, ...  with out loosing information. ... If we
would have a lossles AST we could do the following:
TW syntax -> AST -> What If? syntax, ..... without transclusion, widgets,

If WhatIfMark would be a subset of TW syntax and TW syntax would be a
subset of WhatIfMark we could do really crazy stuff.

The main downside is: That's completely incompatible, to everything that
exists at the moment. So it would be a completely new system.

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/60994e11-37f1-4aba-8237-93046ba8836d%40googlegroups.com.