from another thread, relevant here ...

Jeremy Ruston wrote:

> ... In retrospect I was far too influenced by Markdown back in 2011/12
> when TW5 wikitext was first being defined.

Side note I want to make on just this point about Markdown. I remember when
Markdown emerged (as an end-user / avid blogger) thinking "this is a
godsend". But also, "this is likely to become a somewhat messy non-standard
standard long-term" -- because its "just too easy." If you get what I mean?

Indeed the "floppiness" in implementations and the many mixed in add-ins to
them (many platform dependent) I think shows that point.

IMO original Markdown really pushed forward an approach to being able to
write and format in a way that still looked like normal writing.

But it wasn't on its own. There were several similar approaches already,
but Gruber's philosophical take on it and his pragmatic understanding of
normal writing conceits I think gave it great leverage and attention.

IMO, the longer term legacy is very messy.

And I'm in no way convinced that any Universal Salve (e.g. CommonMark),
struggling with the variants for it, is going to work well enough to
convince me there will ever be "one" workable universal approach to it.
Indeed, I think Gruber's main point was "to be pragmatic" in the mess.

My question is this: HOW in TW, now, do we pragmatically, in the easiest
way, best enable writers to write and format their texts in the ways THEY
need?

Its completely nuts to think that writers should be limited to a good idea
that emerged in 2011 when, now, we know a lot more and can do a lot more,
EASILY.

Let's have an argument about this. :-)

Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f2b4f984-eb9c-4c66-b2ac-f7163a24899a%40googlegroups.com.