I totally agree with Jed.

IMO, if normal titling is becoming an issue to (ID) organise what you need,
then a first step is to step back and consider the design architecture of
what you wanting to do. The problem with other work-arounds is it adds
complications and overheads.

FWIW, to deal with this issue I adopted two different approaches ...

(1) where I need a clear ID I use the title field purely as the
data-reference (e.g. Title-1_sub-7 etc) and the caption field for what is
displayed. That is easy & reliable.

(2) where I want to use the title field only, that is displayed, I think
through a schema of naming that is nor overly laborious. Its not always
optimal--but mostly it is.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/88e77df4-19cc-4a72-acba-119b804716e8%40googlegroups.com.