The first half of that task would be to change the view templates. The view
templates themselves are made up of tiddlers. If you type
$:/tags/ViewTemplate under the shadow tab of the advanced search you will
see the various component tiddlers listed.

There are various approaches, but this is a quick-and-dirty approach that
may be good enough for most uses.

Click on and then edit $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/subtitle
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FViewTemplate%2Fsubtitle> .

Although this tiddler is called 'subtitle', it doesn't display a subtitle,
or any title.  We will make the "subtitle" tiddler display the title field.
Just put

| <$view field="title"/>

to the left of the the date view field. This will add the title to the
tiddler subtitle line, but in subdued gray text.

Now click on (from the advanced search again) $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title
and open it for editing.

Change down below where it says:

<$view field="title"/>

<$view field="subtitle"><$view field="title"/></$view

 What this does is create a cascade. If "subtitle" is available, it will
display subtitle. Otherwise it will display the title field as a fall back.

Notice that I'm using "subtitle" and not "caption". The thing is, the
caption field should always be kept short so that it can be used on menus.
The subtitle can be much longer if you want.

Save and close the tiddlers. Now whenever you add a "subtitle" field to a
tiddler and populate it, the contents of that field should appear as the
main tiddler title.

Oh, and as always, be sure to make a backup of your TW file before trying
any of this.

Maybe by tomorrow someone else will have beat me to the next task --
changing the edit templates ;-)

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6eef3b76-2000-44a3-9ba2-1c51a1a6d669%40googlegroups.com.