Hi Brady

> Yes. Let me explain it by workflow. Say I start with a new TiddlyWiki:

OK, you’re describing what I think of as the “GUID approach”. It’s a nice
pattern, and definitely resonates with a lot of users. I don’t see it as
requiring a major change to the TW core design, though: it’s predominantly high
level UI entities that would need to change (eg the edit template). Personally,
I’m not a huge fan because of the unreadability of link targets, but I’d like
TW5 to support it for those that want it.
>> fixing broken links and functions (filters, lists, macros etc) on the fly
>> after the tiddler ID changed
> Do you mean by using search and replace?
>
> No, Jeremy, I'm referring to the auto-correction processes that must run
> behind the scenes each time I decide to change the tag or tiddler title. You
> said that it is very difficult to parse all the wiki tiddlers correctly so
> that only relevant parts are auto-magically changed to reflect the new title.

What I was driving at was that a naive search-and-replace algorithm would be
insufficient in some situations. A syntax-aware search-and-replace mechanism
isn’t too tricky: there’s already syntax-aware search in the form of the
feature that extracts outgoing links from a tiddler. It does so by searching
the tree resulting from parsing the text, rather than searching the text
directly. Adding the replace part isn’t too tricky; in fact, it would probably
be one of those things where the complexity isn’t in the mechanism but rather
the user interface needed to drive it.

> Tags are probably much easier to change than the titles.

Yes indeed, and TW already offers the ability to relink tags when renaming a
tiddler.

> So I wanted to know your expert opinion: What is more difficult? 1) Change
> the system so it works as described by the workflow above or 2) Try to find
> the correct algorithm to auto-magically correct what is broken.

This feels like a false dichotomy. “Changing the system” implies that it
wouldn’t work in the way that it does currently, which would be a problem from
a backwards compatibility perspective. Perhaps the option is better expressed
as “augment the system so it can work as described above”.

Anyhow, these aren’t mutually exclusive options. And of course there are also
other important attributes beyond difficulty of implementation: simplicity,
universality, risk, robustness, security.

But if you want to focus on implementation difficulty, option (a) touches many
components of the system while (b) is a self-contained subsystem with well
defined inputs and outputs. My experience suggests that the complexity of a
software task depends primarily on the number of entities involved, and so I
would be inclined to think of option (b) as being less difficult.

> Thanks for your time, Jeremy.

No problem, thank you for the thoughtful and interesting questions. These
discussions are often illuminating.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/A9A9311E-4BD6-4C5E-A5FC-6041C7BF7A86%40gmail.com.