On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 6:00:49 AM UTC+2, h0p3 wrote:

> * What is an obvious example of tagging being the best and irreplaceable
> tool for the job?

In TW tags are mainly used to create dynamic lists. like the TOC
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#Table-of-Contents%20Macros%20(Examples)> or a list
of links <https://tiddlywiki.com/#list-links%20Macro>.
If the tag is also a tiddler, those lists can be sorted, using the
list-field <https://tiddlywiki.com/#ListField>

* When do tags outperform linking with advanced search?

less typing.

> * What do tags help me model that I can't already?

As you pointed out, having a tiddler naming convention helps with
searching. ... But what if such a naming convention doesn't fit the
use-case ... Tags can be very handy here.

> * What constitutes a good tag?

:) ... Like good tiddler names, finding a good name that fits, is hard. ...
Several iterations may be needed. ... The advantage here is, that
refactoring tags, most of the times also leads to refactoring the content.
Which imo is a good thing.

> * How many tags in a wiki and/or per tiddler are optimal?

In my wikis I use 1-2 tags. But not every tiddler needs a tag. If a tiddler
has more tags, they tend to cause too much "noise", because they show up in
too many different lists.

> I assume the vast majority of TW users abuse tags very hard.

If you don't want to use the "tag-space" to create an outline or toc-like
structure, there are other possibilities. eg: my tocP plugin
<https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/tocP/>, which uses user-fields to
create the connection between different tiddlers.

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/417d5512-3382-4361-9ac2-2d56c1a3fbe9%40googlegroups.com.