From: rde...@dc3.com [ASCOM-Talk] <ascom-t...@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 29, 2018, 06:42
Subject: [ASCOM] ALERT: ASCOM-Talk is Moving. Please Read This
To: <ascom-t...@yahoogroups.com>

Greetings ASCOM-Talk members --

With 2018 being the 20th Anniversary year of the ASCOM Initiative, it is
time we moved away from the outdated Yahoo! Groups system and onto a much
more modern and functional forum system. Also, along with this improvement,
we are offering separate discussion areas to our two primary groups:
Platform users and ASCOM application / driver developers.

Why are we doing this?

   - Yahoo! has started injecting commercial advertisements into the
   message list
   - Posting with inline images is klunky and sometimes only email
   subscribers can post or see them
   - Attachments are not saved with messages, forcing us to use the "Files"
   system which has become clogged with what is now mostly trash.
   - You cannot make corrections to a post once it is out there
   - People complain of lost messages
   - Conversations are hard to follow in many cases
   - Searching is severely limited

The ASCOM Talk moderators took a look at the many newer and more powerful
systems out there and we have chosen Groups.io <https://groups.io/> as our
new platform. Here are some of the reasons we picked Groups.io
<https://groups.io/>:

   - It supports email-based participation like Yahoo. We considered this a
   100% essential requirement. Only a few of the forums out there can even do
   it and Groups.io <https://groups.io/> does a great job.
   - The site itself, and its discussion interface is simple, clean, and
   minimalistic. I personally found Yahoo! Groups difficult to use and
   non-intuitive, perhaps because it is an afterthought interface on an
   old-fashioned 'listserv' mailer.
   - Only an email address is required to join, no frustrating and
   confusing requirement for a Yahoo! login and forced yahoo.com email etc.
   - We can integrate with GitHub, the Open Source repository used by the
   ASCOM Platform. This feature has made Groups.io <https://groups.io/>
   very popular with Open Source projects.
   - It supports hashtags for enhanced searching, a vast improvement over
   Yahoo.
   - You can elect to receive only the messages you want: Mute threads and
   hashtags. THIS IS HUGE! From time to time we all see giant threads
   discussing something we are not interested in and that, as email
   subscribers, clog up our email box. You will be able to mute these at the
   source in the new system.
   - Separate Help and Developer forums will also reduce the noise for each
   of those groups. Most importantly, new users with Platform problems won't
   need to be exposed to obscure-looking programming discussions when all they
   want is help with their installation or usage.
   - You can post new threads and replies with Rich Text/HTML, Markdown, or
   plain text. Their editing interface is excellent.
   - You can also edit already-posted messages. How many times have you
   wished you could go back and fix errors in your posts?
   - Other modern-day conveniences are provided like a Group Wiki,
   Calendar, Database, Chat service, and a Photos library.
   - We can migrate existing users from Yahoo, eliminating the need to make
   people re-subscribe.

A number of busy astronomy groups including several LX200 groups
<https://groups.io/search?q=LX200>, Losmandy
<https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/topics>, Gemini
<https://groups.io/g/Gemini_users/topics>, MI-250
<https://groups.io/g/MI-250/topics>, and Mallincam
<https://groups.io/g/MallinCam> have already moved from Yahoo! to
Groups.io. ASCOM is using the paid groups.io service and we have
contributors who will fund this, so you can be assured of not seeing
adverts in the future should groups.io decide to enhance its revenue stream
on the free version of its service.

What will happen?

Shortly, we will initiate the groups.io automatic migration process and our
request will be added to their migration queue. When complete, all of the
historic ASCOM-Talk messages and our current user base will have been
migrated and we will close the Yahoo forum.  You will receive notification
and welcome emails when the transfer has been completed, in the meantime,
please continue to use the Yahoo forum as normal.

There is currently high demand for the migration service and it may take
some days or weeks before the migration is effected.

__._,_.___
------------------------------
Posted by: rde...@dc3.com
------------------------------
• Reply to sender
<rde...@dc3.com?subject=Re%3A%20ALERT%3A%20ASCOM-Talk%20is%20Moving%2E%20Please%20Read%20This>
• Reply to group
<ascom-t...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20ALERT%3A%20ASCOM-Talk%20is%20Moving%2E%20Please%20Read%20This>
• Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ASCOM-Talk/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJla244bWxpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI0ODI0NzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyODA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTUzODE3NDQ4Mw-->
• Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ASCOM-Talk/conversations/topics/40182;_ylc=X3oDMTM2aDVqdjJpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI0ODI0NzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyODA1BG1zZ0lkAzQwMTgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTUzODE3NDQ4MwR0cGNJZAM0MDE4Mg-->
(1)
------------------------------
Have you tried the highest rated email app? <https://yho.com/1wwmgg>
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app
on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your
inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email
again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

   - New Members

   4

[image: Yahoo! Groups]
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMG8xNG9iBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzI0ODI0NzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyODA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNTM4MTc0NDgz>