Oops. Ok, changes ...

first $archiveFilename ...

$archiveFilename = generate-archivestring $destinationTimestamp
"$stem-$exten" $exten

second $archiveFilename

$archiveFilename = generate-archivestring $destinationTimestamp
"$stem-$exten" "zip"

and new function generate-archivestring

# MAKE ARCHIVE STRING FROM DATE, STEM, AND EXTEN
function generate-archivestring {
    param( [datetime]$dt, [string]$pFilename, [string]$pExten)
             return  "$pFilename-$(get-date -year $dt.year -month $dt.month
-day $dt.day -hour $dt.hour -minute $dt.minute -second $dt.second
-millisecond $dt.millisecond -f yyyy-MM-dd_HHmmss).$pExten"
}

I guess the main question is whether I should be using a "-" or a "." for
the extension separator in the first part of the file name. I guess it
doesn't matter
as long as all strings are unique.

Thanks!