On Jun 23, 9:36 am, rakugo <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is where does the line get drawn about what can be pushed
> into the project as we have a duty to project the code base for
> existing users.
Since Github has Github pages, I think it would be nice to have some
links there.
Links to tiddlywiki.com - tiddlywiki.org for users
Link to eg: "Info for developers" which is part of Github pages or
Github wiki, which contains the ruleset defined below. This also
includes links to tiddlywiki.org and its relatives.

> For instance, I could create a pull request that changed the default
> theme of TiddlyWiki. The core project commiters might reject this
> change, and I might be put off to ever sending pull requests to
> TiddlyWiki code, as in the current world it was not clear when I
> submitted such a pull request that it had any grounds to be rejected.
I think, this can be avoided, by presenting a link to existing TW
themes, in the TiddlyWiki GitHub homepage / wiki

> In my opinion, we should allow any pull requests that enhance or
> improve the existing codebase on the basis that they provide unit
> tests.
Since TW doesn't draw a line, which core functions are "low level" and
which functions are "dev level", IMO discussion will be allways
needed. Propper unit tests should make it easier, but it shouldn't be
a free ticket.

> By this I propose we might accept the following things:
> * A javascript function is refactored into 2 functions to allow better
> reuse
+1
> * The code is cleaned up to be more readable
+1
> * An existing function/macro is enhanced/extended to accept further
> arguments (on the basis of improving the offering)
I would want to discuss, the name of the new parameter. If a wrong
name will be accepted, it will be hard to fix it later. There should
be some kind of best practice for TW variable names anyway.

> * The code is cleaned up to work in different environments (for
> instance TiddlySpace run some of the TiddlyWiki code in nodejs a
> server side implementation of javascript or code might be packaged up
> into a jQuery plugin to allow more reuse in other projects
+1

> Situations where we might reject or want further discussion in groups
> could be
> * The code introduces a new core macro to the code base
> * The code breaks a test
> * the code changes how the api works (backwards compatibility
> concerns)
> * the code results in a visible change to the appearance of TiddlyWiki
+1

> It would be great if we could come up with a set of guidelines for
> contributing to the TiddlyWiki project and link to it / include it in
> the git repository. I think it is vitally important that we continue
> to build on the momentum that we seem to have gained so far.
+1

-m