TonyM (& PMario)

TonyM wrote:

> Readability in programming languages has often simply come from a body of
> work. You can write code in short or long ways. I imagin you choose
> depending on the audience. For example your own shortcuts where at *most
> *others
> view the results can be as brief as you want.
>
>    - If however you construct something for people to learn from or
>    customise, its a whole new game.
>    - And when you do, you will need to document and teach so you are
>       driven to be as meaningful as possible
>    - If you in fact build a library of mark-up and shortcuts for people
>    to also use then much more time is needed in the development
>    - This is why at the end of the last topic my brainstorm for the use
>    of different symbols was around the major areas a TiddlyWiki User/Designer
>    becomes familiar with.
>       - We already have a language of concepts and terms we share, so
>       this is as good a place to start from.
>
> Quick point. In my USE CASE I'm interested in using CSS classes AS the
"code" / shorthand (actual end-user text is inserted via CSS *::before *) .
The user would see NO comprehensible text at all if they opened a Tiddler
in edit mode ... They would see stuff like this ...

°.x-4x
°A.standard-back

etc ...

My point in my OP was to open-up what "readable" means. My "shorthand" is
totally readable to me. It produces (in render) ...

On all fours. First attend your back. Can you form a mental image of where
it is in space?

I don't think that approach is like Gruber Markdown at all. But the
concepts Gruber initiated have had enormous shaping influence on how we
think about markup. Especially in wikis.

So when PMario talks about "readability" I want to push it :-) I think what
he means is text in *"Gruber mode"*. I.e. part of normal language use with
markup symbols that compliment that.

But PMario's tool actually opens up totally what "readability" could be.
When you start thinking this through it gets liberating.

TBH Tony, I don't think it is a programming syntax per se (in my use case
it is just standard CSS, there is NO programmatic logic. Its simple text
SUBSTITUTION).

The easiest was I could describe it is "*Private Shorthand Supporting
Public Messaging*".

It is provision of an efficient method for supporting AUTHOR writing
methods. Full stop.

Best wishes
TT