On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 10:09:25PM -0600, DRC wrote:
> > An unrelated issue is that whenever I try to use the vncviewer GUI to
> > set the Zlib level to something other than the default, the server
> > crashes (the log says "ZlibOutStream: deflate failed".)

In my self compiled windows viewer, I can change it without crashing
my Xvnc - I can only reproduce it using the unix viewer (My debian
Xvnc is not affected, but the Xvnc versions I compiled for a different
distribution).

> Ugh.  OK, so this was due to VeNCrypt.  It is apparently enabled by
> default if both server and viewer support it.  I do not like that at
> all.  It's particularly problematic because, once enabled, there is no
> way to subsequently disable it without disconnecting and reconnecting
> (the VeNCrypt boxes in the options dialog are all grayed out once the
> connection has been established.)
>
> I really wonder how useful of a feature built-in session encryption is
> if it's this slow.  Without encryption, I can get approximately 20
> Megapixels/second.  Tunneling through SSh, about the same.  With TLSVnc,
> I get about 7.5 Megapixels/second.  For my purposes, that's completely
> useless.

Using TLSNone, I still get 20MBit in a local LAN. In my option, tight
encoding is worse (eg. skipping frams on the KDE splash screen) on
animations than eg. ZRLE.

> I am not comfortable shipping binaries with GnuTLS support if the
> out-of-box default behavior is 38% as fast as 1.0.1.  I strongly believe
> that the server needs to re-order the default security types to be
> VncAuth, VeNCrypt, TLSVnc.  In other words, the default out-of-box
> behavior would be the same as 1.0.1-- to use VncAuth if both ends
> support it.  If someone is paranoid and wanted to use the much
> slower-but-more-secure VeNCrypt functionality as a default, they would
> need to specify -SecurityTypes when starting vncserver.  Ideally, in the
> long term, this would be restricted by means of an authentication
> configuration file that the SysAdmin could use to force the use of only
> certain security types.

VeNCrypt should be the first, so that tigervnc honors the security
type order.

> If we leave things the way they are, users will think that our software
> has slowed down by more than 2X since 1.0.1.
>
> Further, these security types need to be documented.  They are not
> mentioned in our man pages, and it is incredibly non-obvious what they do.
>
> Also, how does one enable user/password authentication?  I see that in
> the options dialog, but it doesn't appear to correspond to a command
> line option.

-SecurityTypes  VeNCrypt,XXXPlain -PlainUsers XXXX

Regards,
Martin Kögler