On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:32:46PM -0600, DRC wrote:
> So what exactly is a "default" Linux installation?  I don't think anyone
> can reasonably conclude that what is true for their Linux installation
> is true for all Linux installations.

The performance problems are triggered by running running high
performance applications like virtualgl, which is not part of any
major distribution]. So any user of default installation of a major
linux distribution has either an Xvnc without 3D support or is limited
by the software renderer - they will not hit your test case.

> I still don't fully buy that OpenGL isn't causing some amount of CPU
> overhead that may still be limiting the frame rate, but I agree that a
> 2D frame flipping benchmark would be a better test.

The overhead is the same for None or TLSNone, as OpenGL is drawing
into the frame buffer - TLS only affects the data transfer between
Xvnc and vncviewer.

> In the meantime, let's make the assumption that neither one of us is
> mistaken and that there really is a difference in how our systems are
> performing with GnuTLS.  The only explanation I can come up with for
> that is that our versions of GnuTLS were built differently.  Perhaps
> there is some performance feature that is enabled in yours but not mine?
>  I've tried building against the GnuTLS chain that is on RHEL 4, as well
> as downloading the latest & greatest (GnuTLS 2.10.4) chain and building
> it from source, and I get identical results.

I'm only using the precompiled libraries from my Debian
distribution. They all should have been upgraded to Squeeze, but I
can't guarantee, that there is something left from an older releases.

> When you are running your tests, are you using the binaries I built and
> uploaded, or are you using your binaries, which are presumably built
> against the system installation of GnuTLS?  If you haven't tried my
> binaries, please try them.  That will tell us whether the above
> hypothesis is correct.

I have downloaded your 64 bit binaries, but can not test, as Xvnc does
not support the GLX extension [(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of
/tmp/tigerbuild.c27921/tigervnc-1.0.90/linux64/xorg.build/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
failed].

> Also, I was using TLSVnc, not TLSNone, but that shouldn't make a
> difference, right?

Yes, this should not make any difference - TLSVnc only adds the
password exchange, but after that, the protocol is the same.

Regards,
Martin Kögler