On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:15:40 +0200
Peter Rosin <p...@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Den 2009-06-25 16:26 skrev Pierre Ossman:
> > Incompatible is a term that will have to be used loosly here. There is
> > no compatibility here today as everyone is doing different things, so I
> > don't see this move making things any worse.
>
> I never answered this, so here I go. I'd be happier if it was
> formulated more like a recommendation (a strong one if you
> like) to use UTF-8 whereever the encoding was unclear. As the
> patch is written it seems like an error to not use UTF-8.
>
> In particular this snippet is bad: "Clients and servers must
> send UTF-8 strings". "Must" is just way too strong.

I originally wrote "should" there, but that gives the impression that
things work fairly fine even without following this behaviour, which it
doesn't.

It's a rather odd situation we're in. Not having a defined encoding
makes the strings nearly useless, which warrants a "must". But OTOH,
that's how it is today and therefore a "should" would normally be
appropriate.

IMO it's better to have a strong "must" as all strings really need to
have a defined encoding, but keep the historical note to warn against
the horrible situation we're in with the current implementations.

> I also think the second hunk of the patch should be left out
> so that the string encoding is left unspecified and thus falls
> back to the new "String Encodings" section (which of course
> recommends UTF-8).

It was for redundancy as I suspect many browse through the initial
parts of the spec very quickly.

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00