Hal Murray wrote:
This, and similar impressive accomplishments, has prompted some
lunchtime discussion at work (JPL).. One of us (N5BF) has been
contemplating what it would take to do an amateur EarthVenusEarth
(after some of his experiments doing EME with 5 watts)..

Perhaps a better question is:  What is the bandwidth?

What sort of signal do I have to receive in order to claim contact? Is one bit/blob of energy at the right time/frequency good enough, or do I have to demodulate the signal and extract a few bits of data?

Marconi claimed credit for the first transatlantic communication by sending the letter S in Morse code. That sounds like a fine standard - one byte of data. It's statistically significant.

With regard to the restoration and use of a derelict radio telescope for amateur radio, that's a fine example of amateurs putting themselves to a big task and succeeding. I work on radio telescopes, so I know how big a task that is.

--David Forbes