Oz-in-DFW wrote:

On 11/8/2010 9:04 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
But since I happen to have access to much more stable frequencies
than voltages, I thought of a different way:

1. Mount a X-tal-osc with really lousy tempco inside the enclosure.

Has anybody tried that ?
It's been my experience that oscillators with really lousy temperature
performance have really lousy repeatability as well.   I'm never delved
into why this is true, but I suspect it's a number of things and not
limited to the quartz resonator.

Depends on *why* it's a lousy temp performance.. is it that the crystal has poor performance OR that the crystal is low Q (e.g. in a TCXO) and the frequency is affected by the other component variations in the circuit. There are some circuits where the bias changes with temperature, and therefore, the power (and hence heating) through the crystal changes, for instance.