Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> But since I happen to have access to much more stable frequencies
> than voltages, I thought of a different way:
>
> 1. Mount a X-tal-osc with really lousy tempco inside the enclosure.
>
> 2. Compare its output to a stable reference frequency.
>
> 3. Use the output of the phase comparator to drive the Peltier.
>
> It is basically a PLL where temperature is used as EFC...
>
> Has anybody tried that ?

Frequency comparison between two oscillators, one a low-tempco and the other a high-tempco, is used by Dallas in the new version of the infamous (to Time Nuts) DS1620 temperature sensor. See the current datasheet and Dallas AN-105. I assume neither is an XO, nor do they phase lock them. Instead, they count the higher-frequency, low-tempco oscillator using the lower-frequency, high-tempco oscillator as a time base, then correct for nonlinearities.

Best regards,

Charles