Bruce Griffiths wrote:
Oz-in-DFW wrote:

On 4/9/2011 11:29 AM, Greg Broburg wrote:
<deletia>

I expect that I am missing something obvious here
a little nudge may help.

Regards;

Greg

What you are missing is that the concept only applies to small integer
(2 or 3) division ratios and won't work as speculated here.  It's sort
of (long stretch here) like injection locking in reverse.  If you want
I'll try and post some links to papers later.

Nonsense, its already been done for much larger ratios and they need not be integers.
Try simulating it.

Bruce

One counter example to the simplistic statement about the operating mode of a regenerative divider being restricted to division by small integers only, is that such analysis appears to preclude the possibility of using a regenerative divider to produce a frequency comb. Unfortunately a regenerative divider has already been used to produce a low noise frequency comb where the comb frequency spacing is f/n(where f is the input frequency and n is an integer). Its possible to extract a frequency that is a rational fraction (m/n where m and n are integers) of the input frequency from such a regenerative frequency comb. Thus there is at least one method of using a regenerative divider to produce a 10MHz signal from a 26MHz signal.

Bruce