The booster amps used for satellite dishes work on GPS as well.
I used one when I was feeding two Thunderbolts thru a splitter.

On 04/02/2012 03:28 PM, Bob Martin wrote:
Bill--

The Thunderbolt wants a higher gain antenna than most standard GPS receivers.  
I tried standard Garmin active antennas, and while they worked (I have a good 
view of the sky), signal levels could be better.

Best match probably is something like the HP/Symmetricom 58532A antenna, which has gain>  
30dB -- most "active" GPS antennas are in the 24 - 26 dB range.

They're not cheap, but they'll do the job.

If you have much distance to cover, feed line is of course important as well -- 
9913, LMR 400, good quality RG6, something with low loss at 1.5 GHz.

I'm using a 58532A feeding a Symmetricom 58535A active GPS splitter to run a 
Thunderbolt and a Datum Tymserve 2100.  Feedline is 9913 to the splitter, and 
short LMR 195 SMA cables from there.  (Yes you can find F to SMA adapters, on 
eBay, even though many will shudder at the concept...)

73 Bob K6RTM



On Apr 2, 2012, at 15:01, [email protected] wrote:

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 17:39:40 -0400
From: "Bill Riches"<[email protected]>
To: "'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'"
        <[email protected]>
Subject: [time-nuts] Antenna for t-bolt
Message-ID:<01ac01cd1119$1c699af0$553cd0d0$@[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="US-ASCII"

Hi guys,

I have asked this question several times over the past few weeks and get no
answer.  Have I been ostracized??!!

Question is that I am looking for suggestions for GPS antenna for t-bolt.
The antenna that I am using now is a no name and I not know where it came
from!  Wonder if a Garman GA-30 will work?

73,

Bill, WA2DVU
Cape May, NJ
_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.


--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     [email protected]   www.omen.com
Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
  Omen Technology Inc      "The High Reliability Software"
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   503-614-0430


_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.

Reply via email to