Hi Edgardo --

Sorry, I should have explained.  Tau0 is shorthand for the "base" tau -- the
actual interval between each measurement.  You can measure longer tau by simply
using every nth measurement.  So tau0 = 1 second simply means you're taking a
reading once per second.

John

On Nov 20, 2012, at 2:29 AM, Edgardo Molina <xe1...@amsat.org> wrote:

> [...]
> getting it right? I am sorry for my confusion.
>
> Regards,
>

> Edgardo Molina
> Dirección IPTEL
>
> www.iptel.net.mx
>
> T : 55 55 55202444
> M : 04455 10045822
>
> Piensa en Bits SA de CV
>

> Información anexa:
>

> CONFIDENCIALIDAD DE INFORMACION
>
> Este mensaje tiene carácter confidencial. Si usted no es el destinarario de
> este mensaje, le suplicamos se lo notifique al remitente mediante un correo
> electrónico y que borre el presente mensaje y sus anexos de su computadora
> sin retener una copia de los mismos. Queda estrictamente prohibido copiar
> este mensaje o hacer usode el para cualquier propósito o divulgar su en forma
> parcial o total su contenido. Gracias.
>

> NON-DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
>
> This email is strictly confidential and may also be privileged. If you are
> not the intended recipient please immediately advise the sender by replying
> to this e-mail and then deleting the message and its attachments from your
> computer without keeping a copy. It is strictly forbidden to copy it or use
> it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any third party. Thank you.
>

> On Nov 14, 2012, at 8:13 PM, John Ackermann N8UR <j...@febo.com> wrote:
>
>> Edgardo, the minimum sample rate in practice is determined by the noise
>> floor of the measurement system.  I would suggest that you do a baseline
>> test by measuring the counter reference against itself with a tau0 (sample
>> rate) of 1 second.  You'll see a best-case result and from it you can
>> determine at which sample rate your noise floor is better than the predicted
>> performance of the oscillator under test.  You'll probably find that you are
>> measurement-noise limited below several hundred seconds.
>>
>> Also, you'll generally get a lower noise floor doing time interval rather
>> than frequency measurements, so you might experiment with that, which
>> normally involves using a low-rate signal such as PPS for "start" and "stop"
>> channels.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Edgardo Molina <xe1...@amsat.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Group,
>>>
>>> Now that I have setup TimeLab along with the Prologix GPIB to USB adapter
>>> and the HP-53132A frecuency counter, I am starting to get some data from my
>>> frequency standards. Still I think I have a long way to go in front of me.
>>>
>>> One of the main concerns that cross my mind at this point are:
>>>
>>> a. What is the recommended sampling duration to consider for Quartz,
>>> Rubidium  and other types of oscillators?
>>> b. What are the recommended sampling intervals for the above mentioned
>>> oscillator types?
>>> c. I am using a 10 MHz Rb FE-5806A frequency standard as an external
>>> reference for the HP-53132A.
>>> d. I am connecting my DUT at the frequency counter channel 1
>>> e. I am setting Timelab for Data Type = Frequency