A while ago I mentioned 5MHz oscillators were used in most metrology
applications compared to the more commonly available 10MHz because 5MHz was a
sweet spot for quartz. At the time I didn't know why. I finally had a chance to
ask the person I learned this from why. The main reason is simply physical
size. The larger crystal lattice allows many manufacturing advantages that
allow for a higher Q. He also explained I was wrong in an earlier statement,
metal/quartz migration on quartz oscillator was not a major problem even after
decades, but could become more of a factor if driven hard. That does not mean
the deposition and lead bonding has no negative effect. The BVA solves this by
capacitive coupling the quartz rather then direct metal deposition.

Thomas Knox