On 10/5/2016 7:40 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
There was a time when HAMs where the ones pushing radio technology
forward.  Maybe these guys are doing that and building a digital EME
network on VHF?  We don't know.
Actually, we do know. Regarding my earlier comments, I believe at the time (mid-1970) those of us pursuing EME _were_ pushing the technology forward.
We can guess but typically when you start wanting precise time
synchronization it is because of something like TDMA (time division
multiple access) to a shared resource.
Not so. What is now common is the use of "JT" modes. JT modes have a number of variations but what they have in common is they were developed by Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Joe Taylor, who has freely given the software to the ham radio community. See: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/JT65.pdf

Although I personally ceased pursuing this activity many years ago, there remain some of us, who are not Luddites, but still believe that "Deep Search Decoding" is a questionable practice, no matter how it is rationalized.

Nevertheless, the referenced paper should explain the need for precise
timekeeping.