On 10/9/17 8:00 AM, Mattia Rizzi wrote:
Hi,
I did something similar when I had to deliver synchronization over IEEE
802.15.4-CSS (Chirp spread spectrum).
If you have SDR on both ends (TX & RX), you can use complex chirp signals
and then cross-correlation at RX. Just be sure that the multi-path is not
killing you (i.e. the cross-correlation peak has a width smaller than
multi-path echoes delay).
If you use up & down chirps, you can compensate the time-shift introduced
by carrier frequency offset (due to RF front-end).
To estimate clock frequency offset, well, just send a repetitive pattern.
Amplitude is easy as well.

My application is more like an HF interferometer/radio telescope, so I don't have any control over the transmitted signal.

I am willing to transmit a "pilot tone" of some sort to allow me to do the interelement cal, but I'd like it to be "real simple". An RTL-SDR is receive only, but the beaglebone microcontroller next to it can generate pulse trains, for instance.