HI

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 8:49 PM, jimlux <jim...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 10/9/17 8:02 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> Hi
>> Pick a couple of local broadcast stations and record them. That will give
>> you a baseline
>> for each of the parameters you are after in real time. They *will* drift.
>> Past that, I’d go with a sweep of each node before installation. That will
>> give you the
>> frequency response and (to some degree) a guess for noise and spurs.
>
> The RTL-SDR has only about 2 MHz BW, so you'd have to be lucky to have a
> broadcast station in the band (and if I'm looking at trying to image Jupiter
> with an interferometer, at 20.1 MHz, I'm not sure that the SW broadcast bands
> cover within 2MHz - and you'd be subject to the vagaries of propagation.. low
> sunspots = low critical frequency = not much skywave propagation for WWV).
>
> So a local reference would be nice.  Originally, I thought about just
> radiating a CW tone (perhaps modulated with timecode), but then, I realized
> I'd also like to calibrate the RF chain in the receiver, so feeding a
> calibrated pulse that has spurs (hey, a "marker beacon" in old school radios
> with a analog dial)

Monitor for 55 minutes and calibrate for 5 minutes. Do the calibration in maybe
10 second segments spread
out over the hour.

The gotcha with any “radiated” signal is finding a band you can legally
transmit it in ….. For an array a few feet on a
side, not a big deal. For something a mile or two across, it begins to be an
issue.