Hi

> On May 14, 2018, at 1:50 PM, Oleg Skydan <olegsky...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> From: "Bob kb8tq" <kb...@n1k.org>
>>> If such conditions detected, I avoid problem by changing the counter clock.
>>> But it does not solve the effects at "about OCXO" * N or "about OCXO" / M.
>>> It is related to HW and I can probably control it only partially. I will
>>> try to improve clock and reference isolation in the "normal" HW and of
>>> cause I will thoroughly test such frequencies when that HW will be ready.
>>
>> It’s a very common problem in this sort of counter. The “experts” have a lot
>> of trouble with it
>> on their designs. One answer with simple enough hardware could be to run
>> *two* clocks
>> all the time. Digitize them both and process the results from both.
>
> I thought about such solution, unfortunately it can not be implemented
> because of HW limitations. Switching 400MHz clock is also not ideal solution,
> cause it will make trouble to GPS correction calculations, the latter can be
> fixed in software, but it is not an elegant solution. It all still needs some
> polishing...
>
>> still have the issue of a frequency that is a multiple (or sub multiple) of
>> both clocks.
>
> The clocks (if we are talking about 400MHz) has very interesting values like
> 397501220.703Hz or 395001831.055Hz , so it will really occur very rarely.
> Also I am not limited by two or three values, so clock switching should solve
> the problem, but not in elegant way, cause it breaks normal work of GPS
> frequency correction algorithm, so additional steps to fix that will be
> required :-\.

What I’m suggesting is that if the hardware is very simple and very cheap,
simply put two chips on the board.
One runs at Clock A and the other runs at Clock B. At some point in the process
you move the decimated data
from B over to A and finish out all the math there ….

> BTW, after quick check of the GPS module specs and OCXO's one it looks like a
> very simple algorithm can be used for frequency correction. OCXO frequency
> can be measured against GPS for a long enough period (some thousands of
> seconds, LR algorithm can be used here also) and we have got a correction
> coefficient. It can be updated at a rate of one second (probably we do not
> need to do it as fast). I do not believe it can be as simple. I feel I missed
> something :)…

That is one way it is done. A lot depends on the accuracy of the GPS PPS on
your module. It is unfortunately fairly easy to find
modules that are in the 10’s of ns error on a second to second basis. Sawtooth
correction can help this a bit. OCXO’s have warmup
characteristics that also can move them a bit in the first hours of use.

More or less, with a thousand second observation time you will likely get below
parts in 10^-10, but maybe not to the 1x10^-11 level.

Bob