Hi Pete --

TAPR did one production run of the ClockBlock at the beginning of 2007, building 100 units, and they were available until all were sold (which IIRC took a couple of years). I'm not sure if we ever looked at doing a second run, but I seem to remember that one of the components became either obsolete or crazy expensive.

But this is a good chance to describe how TAPR handles product manufacture. We think of ourselves mainly as an R&D organization making stuff that's not available elsewhere. We're a volunteer, non-profit, group and the up-front cost to get a bunch of boards assembled is a major hit to our bank account. We can't afford to build units that will sit in inventory for years. (This discussion is mainly about assembled products; the sunk cost for kits is usually much lower.)

So, our usual approach is to do one manufacturing run of a quantity we are pretty sure will sell out quickly. It's usually not cost-effective to build less than 50 units, and the per-unit cost drops dramatically as you increase to 100 or 200 pieces. We do our best to balance unit cost, upfront cost, and expected sales in a way that's prudent based on our resources.

We normally don't expect to do a second manufacturing run, as the first run usually consumes most of the demand. If we place a second order for a smaller quantity, the unit cost goes up and we would have to increase price accordingly. If we do a larger order, we risk turning our limited cash into aging inventory.

There are some cases where the demand justified a second run -- for example the TICC, where virtually all the units were pre-sold and we felt comfortable getting a second batch. But our niche market is small enough that in most cases one run is enough to saturate it.

I believe we have some bare ClockBlock PCBs available; if you're interested in rolling your own unit, contact me off-line and I'll see what we can do.

John
----