Rick: I've spent some time with the dds blocks. We found them to generate lots of low level spurs, making lots of "birdies" when used as local oscillators in receivers.
We had better results using:
https://www.silabs.com/products/timing/oscillators.

These may be used with GPSDO clocks for accuracy, and generate less noise. Cost is about the same; there are two or three sources for breakout units. The clock sources do have to be 25/27 MHz, those from Leo Bodnar, or use an OCXO. Digital attenuators are also available; all this can be run from an Arduino with oled or other readouts, libraries abound. And for quick and fancy GUI, on a pc, use MakerPlot.
Just $.02
Don

On 2018-12-11 09:46, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Another gold mine.  I used to work for Agilent/Keysight so I
am very familiar with their signal generators.  It
will be interesting to see the R&S viewpoint.  The DDS
stuff is very valuable.  I have been considering using
a DDS eval board with a low noise 1 GHZ reference to
make a poor man's signal generator for my home lab.
Your paper will be required reading.  I suspect a lot
of time nuts are in a similar situation as me.

Thanks.

Rick