On 12/11/2018 9:13 AM, djl wrote:
Rick: I've spent some time with the dds blocks. We found them to generate lots of low level spurs, making lots of "birdies" when used as local oscillators in receivers.
We had better results using:
https://www.silabs.com/products/timing/oscillators.

I was talking about making a programmable frequency synthesizer
with a DDS, to use as a general purpose signal generator.

A silabs part functions exactly the same as a crystal oscillator
once it receives its one-time programming at the factory, AFAIK.

Of course a crystal oscillator has better spectral purity than
a frequency synthesizer.  But it doesn't make a signal generator.

Am I missing something?

BTW, you can do even better than Silabs with an actual crystal
oscillator such as those made by Crystek.

Rick