On 12/11/18 3:26 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
Hi

As I said, just how rational using these parts in a radio …. not at all clear
to me.
Back when I went to school, stuff that was this noisy was not in the “greatest”
category.
That was a *very* long time ago.

Oddly enough best performance synthesizers have gotten better. (as the posted
presentations very clearly show). Just why a “high end” radio uses a less than
ideal synthesizer likely relates more to cost (even at a price of thousands of
dollars)
than to anything else.

Or "good enough" performance - driving to a 3 dB NF for a HF receiver while maintaining good strong signal performance is probably not worth it

Indeed cost also drives things like GPSDO’s and GPS modules. We often are not
very eager to acknowledge that fact.

Bob