I've been doing a bit more work on the far from finished Z3801A project, trying to button things up. It has been sitting for years all opened up (but running), with temporary pieces and cables and wiring hanging out every which way. The next piece I want to get going is the 1 PPS interface, to provide the signal out, and to run the clock. In the manual it says the 1PPS signals are on the DB-25 connector, in differential "pseudo-ECL" form, but that's all - no level or common-mode info is provided. Online searching the term seems to indicate it's just PECL - Positive ECL running from +5 V, with everything shifted up accordingly. That's just fine (and easy to implement), as long as I know what to expect. I figured I'd check here to see if that's correct, or if it means something else in the Z3801A context. I'll find out eventually when I start fooling with it, but right now it's buried deep in the guts of the box, so not easy to scope out yet until I start hooking it up and designing the interface.

A related question is, is there any particular generally accepted or favorite spec or description of the 1PPS signal output from the BNC? I'll probably make it 0/+5 V out, fairly strong, with the leading positive edge being the official tick mark. The clock will use a softened up version. The DF will be whatever the Z3801A puts out.

Ed