Hi

> On Oct 5, 2021, at 3:11 PM, ed breya <e...@telight.com> wrote:
>
> I've been doing a bit more work on the far from finished Z3801A project,
> trying to button things up. It has been sitting for years all opened up (but
> running), with temporary pieces and cables and wiring hanging out every which
> way. The next piece I want to get going is the 1 PPS interface, to provide
> the signal out, and to run the clock. In the manual it says the 1PPS signals
> are on the DB-25 connector, in differential "pseudo-ECL" form, but that's all
> - no level or common-mode info is provided. Online searching the term seems
> to indicate it's just PECL - Positive ECL running from +5 V, with everything
> shifted up accordingly. That's just fine (and easy to implement), as long as
> I know what to expect. I figured I'd check here to see if that's correct, or
> if it means something else in the Z3801A context. I'll find out eventually
> when I start fooling with it, but right now it's buried deep in the guts of
> the box, so not easy to scope out yet until I start hooking it up and
> designing the interface.
>
> A related question is, is there any particular generally accepted or favorite
> spec or description of the 1PPS signal output from the BNC? I'll probably
> make it 0/+5 V out, fairly strong, with the leading positive edge being the
> official tick mark. The clock will use a softened up version. The DF will be
> whatever the Z3801A puts out.

There are a lot of posts in the archives about 1 pps signals. The basic choices:

1) Source terminated 5V  “CMOS” signal. The driver needs to handle a net 100
ohm load. (50 ohms
at the source and 50 ohms at the load). If the load is terminated, you will see
a 0 to 2.5 V signal there.

2) Not source terminated 5V (or 3.3V) “CMOS”. The driver is built to put out
enough current to take a
50 ohm load to 5V (or 3.3). You now get a 5V logic signal on the far end when
it’s terminated in 50 ohms.

3) Doubly terminated 5V CMOS. The driver puts out a 10V signal and can handle a
net 100 ohm load.
The source is at 50 ohms and the load is at 50 ohms. You get a 5V logic signal
into the load. (and 10V
if you forget the termination … yikes ….). You pretty much never see this
approach used.

Both 1 and 2 can be implemented with pretty normal logic gates. Some number of
fast gates in
parallel will be able to drive whatever load you decide on.

Bob