Thank you once again, Steve, you're a tireless help! =)
I guess I found strange the concept of something being included in a message
structure that never gets to be sent...

On 7/3/07, Steve McKown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 11:01:48 am Pedro Almeida wrote:
> All,
>
> Ok, I'm intrigued again... (why does this keep happening??)
>
> [snip]
>
> From the same TEP, "The metadata field of message_t stores data that a
> single-hop stack uses or collects does not transmit. This mechanism
allows
> packet layers to store per-packet information such as RSSI or
timestamps."
> [snip]
>
> So some questions rise:
> 1 - Is the metadata actually carried out in the message being sent over
the
> radio and actually included in the message_t (cause it says something
about
> not being transmitted, but it still show up in the message structure in
the
> TEP)?

You just quoted from the TEP that answers your question.  ;^)  message_t
stores metadata that the stack uses or collects but does not transmit.

> 2 - If it is, does the actual size of the 802.15.4 message payload
> (Data field) extends by its size (after sizeof(struct) as we've seen
> before)? How many bytes then? 7 or more?
> 3 - If it's not.. what use does it have?

The metadata is useful for writing network functionality.  It's used in
CTP
for example, to manage neighbors and routing.  I don't think you'd want an
application to use metadata directly, since you're then tying that
application to a specific bit of radio hardware.

+-------------------+---------+------------------------------+-----------

+-------------------+---------+------------------------------+-----------

FCS,

> > CRC