Steve McKown wrote:
3 - If it's not.. what use does it have?

The metadata is useful for writing network functionality. It's used in CTP for example, to manage neighbors and routing. I don't think you'd want an application to use metadata directly, since you're then tying that application to a specific bit of radio hardware.

So timestamp metadata should go in a component or an interface?

Has anyone found the most accurate way to deterministically
clock the arrival of a timing packet, that can be recognized without decoding,
since its data content never varies?   (The application I have in
mind is precise timestamping.) Is there any physical output of the radio for the
timing of a received packet as the radio locks onto its data transitions, or
is packet timing and recognizing all internal and a RX ready interrupt is the earliest
output?

Thanks,

John Griessen