I'm not sure what you were intending to do with this line.....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/opt/tinyos-2.x/apps/tests/TestSerial$
serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz

serial is not a command, its a flag to the -comm parameter when
running the java program.

I use the live cd all the time, and simply running:
java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz

works for me (I assume you're using an mib510 and not an mib520)

Kevin

On Feb 17, 2008 8:55 PM, Leena Ganguli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have tried removing the trailing slash as well, with the same error
> result...
>
> I'm curious...does anyone have this kind of issue with the TinyOS live CD?
> (the one found here http://toilers.mines.edu/Public/XubunTOS) as I have tried
> this on several machines now (with the same release) and I seem to get the
> same result...
>

> Leena Kowser Ganguli
>
> ________________________________
> > Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:06:57 +1100
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: [Tinyos-help] Problems with TestSerial
> > CC: tinyos-help@millennium.berkeley.edu
> >
> > On the bash prompt you should use
> >
> > java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz
> >
> > as opposed to
> >
> > java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0/:micaz
> >
> > Notice there is no trailing slash "after" /dev/ttyUSB0 in the first command.
> >

> > On Feb 18, 2008 12:20 PM, Michael Schippling> wrote:
> > OK, now we're getting someplace, however I don't know exactly where...
> > I don't use the TOSComm lib and I can't find all the pieces when
> > looking in CVS for the source. Specifically I found what appears
> > to be the linux C++ code at:
> >
> > http://tinyos.cvs.sourceforge.net/tinyos/tinyos-2.x/tools/tinyos/java/serial/NativeSerial_linux.cpp?revision=1.5&view=markup
> >
> > But not the JNI wrappers, nor actually any definition of the "open" method.
> >
> > Perhaps someone who knows about that lib can elucidate for us?
> >

> > Anyway you appear to be getting an anomalous error when using JNI to open
> > the serial port: "Not a directory", which is actually true, but I don't
> > know where that would be coming from. Are the permissions on your /dev
> > directory open to everyone? And you do have the right JNI library for
> > your brand of linux, right? Might be worthwhile reinstalling that...
> >
> > As to the second "error", it is absolutely right. What you are doing
> > is typing the serial spec string into the bash shell as if it were a
> > command, like "ls", and the shell is telling you it can't find it:
> > "No such file or directory". The serial string is an arbitrary TOS
> > invention to describe the base-station data source and only has meaning
> > to some low level TOS Java code (which I also can't find in CVS for T2).
> >
> > Hopefully someone who actually knows something will come to our aid.
> > MS
> >

> > Leena Ganguli wrote:
> >> Ok here's the output for successfully installing TestSerial onto the
> >> mote (works with any other application that I have tested so far as well):
> >>
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/opt/tinyos-2.x/apps/tests/TestSerial$ make micaz install
> >> mib510,/dev/ttyUSB0
> >> mkdir -p build/micaz
> >>     compiling TestSerialAppC to a micaz binary
> >> ncc -o build/micaz/main.exe -Os -finline-limit=100000 -Wall -Wshadow
> >> -Wnesc-all -target=micaz -fnesc-cfile=build/micaz/app.c -board=micasb
> [...]

~Kevin