Ah! That was a fault on my part for misunderstanding/misreading the tutorial.
My apologies.
(and yes, we are using the mib510)
Anyway, we eventually reached a solution to the problem, which was slightly odd
but it worked, so I'm not complaining.
Basically, it turned out to be a problem with the USB to Serial cable that we
had been using - we just
needed to use another cable to resolve the issue...
Thank you to everyone who helped out.
Leena Kowser Ganguli

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:25:16 -0800
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Tinyos-help] Problems with TestSerial
> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; tinyos-help@millennium.berkeley.edu
>
> I'm not sure what you were intending to do with this line.....
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/opt/tinyos-2.x/apps/tests/TestSerial$
> serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz
>
> serial is not a command, its a flag to the -comm parameter when
> running the java program.
>
> I use the live cd all the time, and simply running:
> java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz
>
> works for me (I assume you're using an mib510 and not an mib520)
>
> Kevin
>
> On Feb 17, 2008 8:55 PM, Leena Ganguli  wrote:
>>
>> I have tried removing the trailing slash as well, with the same error
>> result...
>>
>> I'm curious...does anyone have this kind of issue with the TinyOS live CD?
>> (the one found here http://toilers.mines.edu/Public/XubunTOS) as I have tried
>> this on several machines now (with the same release) and I seem to get the
>> same result...
>>

>> Leena Kowser Ganguli
>>
>> ________________________________
>>> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:06:57 +1100
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> Subject: Re: [Tinyos-help] Problems with TestSerial
>>> CC: tinyos-help@millennium.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> On the bash prompt you should use
>>>
>>> java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:micaz
>>>
>>> as opposed to
>>>
>>> java net.tinyos.tools.Listen -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0/:micaz
>>>
>>> Notice there is no trailing slash "after" /dev/ttyUSB0 in the first command.
>>>

>>> On Feb 18, 2008 12:20 PM, Michael Schippling> wrote:
>>> OK, now we're getting someplace, however I don't know exactly where...
>>> I don't use the TOSComm lib and I can't find all the pieces when
>>> looking in CVS for the source. Specifically I found what appears
>>> to be the linux C++ code at:
>>>
>>> http://tinyos.cvs.sourceforge.net/tinyos/tinyos-2.x/tools/tinyos/java/serial/NativeSerial_linux.cpp?revision=1.5&view=markup
>>>
>>> But not the JNI wrappers, nor actually any definition of the "open" method.
>>>
>>> Perhaps someone who knows about that lib can elucidate for us?
>>>

>>> Anyway you appear to be getting an anomalous error when using JNI to open
>>> the serial port: "Not a directory", which is actually true, but I don't
>>> know where that would be coming from. Are the permissions on your /dev
>>> directory open to everyone? And you do have the right JNI library for
>>> your brand of linux, right? Might be worthwhile reinstalling that...
>>>
>>> As to the second "error", it is absolutely right. What you are doing
>>> is typing the serial spec string into the bash shell as if it were a
>>> command, like "ls", and the shell is telling you it can't find it:
>>> "No such file or directory". The serial string is an arbitrary TOS
>>> invention to describe the base-station data source and only has meaning
> [...]

What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT