Hi Martin,

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Martin Cerveny <mar...@c-home.cz> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there some progress or stable/final/tested code for Atmel newer RF
> chips on ZigBit (ATZB) modules ?

We used the ATZB900 and ATZB24 modules without a problem, with a new
platform of course. We dropped the atzb24 in favor of the rfa1, and we
dropped the atzb900, because it was very hard to get it in larger
quantities, it's expensive, hard to solder on, and we want to use the
rfa1's better timer stack.

> Did someone check/test compatibility with previous chip generations ?
> Is there some TinyOS implementation with XMega CPU (ATxmegaxxx) ?
> And what about ARM Cortex-M0+ CPU (ATSAMR21xxx,
> https://code.google.com/p/tinyos-cortex/) ?
>
> RF:
> - AT86RF233 - compatible with RF230 ?
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-RF-233-1-C.aspx
>    Some references:
>    - http://wiesel.ece.utah.edu/projects/10/
>    - git://wiesel.ece.utah.edu/tinyos/tinyos-prod.git (branch wiesel)

With small modifications:
http://www.atmel.com/ja/jp/Images/Atmel-42198-Migration-from-AT86RF230-to-AT86RF233_AP-Note_AT02601.pdf
The problematic parts: PREP_DEEP_SLEEP, TX_AUTO_CRC_ON, probably more,
especially with HWACK.

> - AT86RF212B - compatible with RF212 ?
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-RF-212B-0-U.aspx
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-RF-212B-0-CN.aspx

Probably will work, but obviously wont use new features.
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42178-Migration-from-AT86RF212-to-AT86RF212B_AP-Note_AT02598.pdf
Didn't found any problematic part.

> CPU&RF:
> - ATmega256RFR2 - compatible with 128RFA1 ?
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-S1-256-3-0-U.aspx
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-S1-256-3-0-C.aspx

Unfortunatelly there's no migration guide, but it is indeed very similar.
I've gone through the datasheet, and the only compatibility breaking
modification I found was in the ADC. But, you need compiler support, which
is - as far as I know - only in the official atmel AVR toolchain. I have
some modified ucprotonb with 256rfr2, and I'm working on the compiler, it
will probably work soon. Oh, and all RFR2s are the same, the difference is
only the amount of RAM/ROM (64/128/256), and/or the pinout (128 vs 1284,
etc), so all of them should work at the same time.

> CPU+RF:
> - ATxmega256A3U + AT86RF233
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-X0-256-3-0-C.aspx
>
> - ATxmega256A3U + AT86RF212B
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-X0-256-4-0-U.aspx
>    - Atmel module - http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATZB-X0-256-4-0-CN.aspx

I don't know much about xmegas, but they seemed very different from
atmegas, so it will probably hard work to make the basic drivers. It's
probably doesn't worth it: The ARM based MCUs are much more intresting, and
it seems the industry moves towards ARM.

Best,
Andras Biro
http://ucmote.com