I found the paper.

And it doesn't look like they are tweaking what they send.   Rather they
are looking at multiple copies of the same packet.   And there is a special
parity packet that they send (additional overhead, but there really isn't
such thing as a free lunch).

I'm not sure what they are doing with the preamble.   Typically one doesn't
get the preamble out of the 2420.

--
Eric B. Decker
Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher