Sure- And the university would be justified in firing you and the student
would be justified in suing you . . . Michael- You showed poor judgement in
loaning a student money. Don't compound it. Write it off and don't repeat
it. My advice (beyond DON"T DO IT) is that if you sincerely believe a
student needs the money, that it is your responsibility to take care of it,
and that no one else can or will help them, then put a $100.00 bill into
their next handout and consider it passed forward. Surely someone helped you
along the way to your PhD. I'd seriously think about whether I'm
establishing appropriate boundaries with my students to ensure you are doing
the best you can for them as their teacher if you are in that kind of double
relationship to be exchanging money. It may BE purely platonic and harmless-
I can assure you that it isn't going to look that way to a Dean or Provost
if problems result. Tim Shearon

Timothy O. Shearon, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology (Chairperson)
Albertson College of Idaho
Caldwell, Idaho

ph- 208-459-5840

teaching interests: neuropsychology, history of psychology, developmental
(topical), intro