>         Subject: z-score woes
> "I have a student who just does not understand z-scores.  I have met with him for at
> least two hours outside of class and he still doesn't understand the concept.  In
> particular, he doesn't seem to understand why you need to include standard deviation
> in the calculation of z-scores.  "Why can't you just compare the raw
>  scores?" is his frequent question."

Rod,

I would suggest you give him a real problem we face in our admissions process.  Say
you have two students and can only admit one.  They should be equal in most respects
but have very different test scores--one has a SAT scores V 500 + M 450 = 950 while
the other has an ACT Composite of 32.  Which has a better chance of doing well in
college?  This isn't raw score comparison but the numbers paint one picture while the
z-scores give quite a different picture.

bob grossman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kalamazoo College

begin:vcard
n:Grossman;Robert
tel;fax:616-337-7030
tel;work:616-337-7108
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.kzoo.edu/psych/ndex.htm
org:Kalamazoo College;Psychology
adr:;;1200 Academy Street;Kalamazoo;Michigan;49006;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Professor
fn:Bob Grossman, Ph.D