Hi everyone:

Thanks to everyone for their helpful guidance on the z-score situation.
Actually, I ended using an combination of all of your suggestions.  I
used David's examples of focusing on two particular distributions of
tests scores (see below for the specifics).  I framed this situation in
the context of Max's example of a wager between two roommates.  I also
took Mike's approach to discussing the differences between various
standard scores and then discussing the formula.  This was the third
hour outside of the classroom that I have devoted to helping this
student understand z-scores, but I think that he is finally beginning to
understand the concept.  Now, on to T-scores....   :)

Thanks again for all of your help!

Rod

Roderick D. Hetzel, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology