Rod,

Maybe an example closer to home would help.  Give him as an example his
score on two hypothetical exams in the same class.  Set it up so his
numerical score on the first exam is lower than his numerical score on the
second exam, but on the first exam is above the mean of the class and
below it on the second exam.  Ask him which exam he did better on.
Obviously he did higher on the second, but relatively (and on the grading
curve) he did poorer on the second exam.  Maybe that will get him thinking
a little outside his box.

Dave Carpenter
Dept. of Psychology
St. Bonaventure University