Let me just support Marie's statement. As long as the collection does not leave
the classroom and/or the instructor does not intend to publish the data then
the students are not research subjects because there is no research. Of course,
if this were to be published, then the students were actually the research
subjects and IRB approval would need to be obtained. The rub is that sometimes
an instructor decides to publish the results of a classroom exercise because
they might have been particularly interesting.....

Annette