From: Aubyn Fulton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 2:08 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Re: Student Advising

Aubyn writes...
Thanks to all who responded to my question. Perhaps I could add that our
system seems just a little different than some here - we are on the
quarter system, and the course schedule for the Summer, Fall, Winter and
Spring is published in late April. Shortly after that, students can (and
are encouraged) to register for their courses for the entire year (first
come, first served) and they can add and drop at will at any time.

When we first started the system, we had a requirement that students had
to have their Advisors "click" on an appropriate box to verify advising
for a given quarter, and if this was not completed by a deadline all
courses registered for in that quarter would be "flushed". Students
would
be free to re-register, once they met with their Advisor. However this
system was never implemented, as Administration worried about
perceptions
of "customer" friendliness. Suggestions to only allow registration
quarter
by quarter, with the kind of Advisor "click" noted by others required to
free up access to online registration, have likewise been rejected, as
the
ability to register at will, anytime, anywhere for the entire academic
year is seen as a useful marketing and retention tool.

I don't want to be student/customer unfriendly (anything but that), but
don't want to lose the close personal teacher/student contact with
advisees that has been a strength of small, residential teaching
colleges
like ours. I suppose it is a little paternalistic, but then, we are a
little paternalistic.

Aubyn Fulton, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Behavioral Science Department