Here at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, the Registrar blocks
registration until an "advising flag" is removed in the electronic system.
The first half of the alphabet is "flagged" in the Fall, then the second
half is "flagged" in the Spring.  It forces students to see someone to get
the flag removed.  Secretaries can remove the flag or the advisor can do
it.  I think it has increased the number of student I see, but the increase
is far from dramatic.

Jim Thomas, Psychology Department, University of Nebraska at Omaha
([EMAIL PROTECTED])