Hi

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Annette Taylor, Ph. D. wrote:
> We will have to disagree here completely. It is the job of
> the IRB to decide on the quality of research if the quality
> shifts the balance of cost/benefit to cost.

IRB members are not in a position to make this kind of judgment,
or at least in this case they did not do a very good job. They
would be better to focus on risk, and ONLY address methodological
questions when the risk is elevated.  If we take the example that
stimulated this discussion, using a measure that lacks indices of
reliability and validity (note that is not the same as saying
that the instrument is not reliable and not valid) will itself
provide evidence on these questions.  Correlations with other
variables, internal consistency, and the like will move the
research area along by documenting the benefits of the new
measure.  Lack of such positive results would similar indicate to
future researchers that more basic (i.e., measurement,
conceptualization issues) work is needed.  New knowledge is new
knowledge and always of benefit (to somone).

> Participants do give up theri time and energy and are not
> often compensated. Most subject pools use a genteel form of
> coercion that we leave a blind eye to--do this 3 of 5 times
> per semester or do a much more onerous task, or don't pass
> the course. Let's be real. Most students do not want to
> participate in research but most intro psych students have
> to, or they have to do article reviews or some such nonsense.

Given this negative attitude about the benefits of participating
in actual studies, your emphasis on "wasting time" is more
understandable.  But I disagree with you.  I think there are real
benefits of participating in research, especially given
feedback.  And of course students don't want to participate in
lots of things that we think are good for them (e.g., tests,
essays, projects, lectures, ...).  Failing students is overly
harsh.  Our students lose one letter grade for failing to meet
the research requirement (6 for day students, 3 for evening
students), but they are never failed because of this (i.e., D
students remain a D).

In thinking about the benefits of participating in research, it
is important to appreciate that the benefits will not be
universal for all our students.  But that is also true of other
well accepted pedagogical experiences, such as those listed
above.

> I don't think IRBs are too powerful at all. You need to sit
> on an IRB for a couple of years to see what comes before
> committees to get a real sense of what confounded garbage
> often makes it way to us. As chair I am often the only one
> reading the vast majority of studies and I have say I have
> seen some truly terrible proposals. It has changed my
> perspective completely.

This is a non sequiter, I think.  If I can paraphrase, in order
to keep garbage research from being conducted we need to sanction
inocuous research with (allegedly) minor flaws that have no
harmful consequences for participants (barring perhaps the not
universally accepted "wasting their time" argument).

> I think unless you have had the experience of this you might
> not understand the perspective of those who have see truly
> horribly confounded studies come before them. There is also a
> real danger to the understanding of science that comes from
> people participating in bad studies.

The job of the IRB is to make more ethical research, not to make
better research. I'm sure there are numerous examples of
researchers having to "water down" their research (i.e.,
compromise it) in order to meet ethical guidelines.  With respect
to the last point, it would be interesting to see if
participating in bad studies harms or helps students'
understanding of science.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark