From: Christine L. Grela [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 11:05 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: improving student performance and grades through extra credit?

(sorry for any cross posting)

Dear TIPSters,

I think this topic may have been touched on before, but I would like to
get some input.

I have just had my Intro to Psych class finish their midterm exams, and
overall, the class is scoring about 50%.

In previous years, I have curved my exams (the high score so far is 115
out of 140), but I put a statement on the syllabus that grades would be
determined by a 90, 80, 70% structure. However, given this scoring
system, a good portion of my students are failing - which doesn't make
either them or me happy.

I don't want to reward students who haven't been putting time and effort
into studying, but, on the other hand, I don't want to fail half of my
class (or have them drop). So, does anyone have any recommendations? I
was thinking of offering extra credit to students who corrected their
own exams - but I wasn't sure how much to offer. I am also offering 10
points to students who completely a study guide prior to the exam.

Again, I don't want to give credit to students who don't deserve it, and
the midterm is only worth 30% of their grade, but it seems like they do
need some additional help.

Christine L. Grela
Instructor of Psychology
McHenry County College