On 8 Mar 2005, Philippe Gervaix wrote:

> Hi all,
> A recent report from Canada "Which pedagogies are efficient?" by
> Gauthier C., Mellouki M. & al. is crossing the Ocean and being
> abundantly debated  here in Switzerland and in France.
> In this literature  survey, they compare different researches  that
> examine the efficiency of different pedagogical methods. Some of their
> conclusions are based on  the Follow Through Project that compared
> schools that used "curriculum based learning" vs "learner-centered
> methods": The report concludes that Direct instruction Methods
> (curriculum based learning) do better than constructivist methods
> (learner-centered methods).
>
> Can anyone tell me more about the Follow Through Evaluation Project?
> Who is behind it? How solid are their methods? What exactly do we have
> to understand by" Direct Instruction" model? How are these questions
> debated overseas?

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far away,  and having a peculiar idea of
the concept of "fun", I decided to see how early I could teach my two
new baby daughters to read (given their evident genius from birth, I
assumed it would be by the time they learned to sit up). After an
unsuccessful attempt to produce my own reader, I searched the
literature for the best available. What I came up with was a set of
readers based on what was known then as the Distar programme,
designed for the Head Start initiative in the US intended to enhance
the early learning of disadvantaged children. The readers were
published by Science Research Associates and the authors were
Siegfried Engelmann and Elaine C. Bruner.

I chose Distar books because they used a phonetic approach based on
sound principles of operant conditioning, notably prompting and
fading, and because the programme was one of the few (perhaps the
only) validated by good reseach.

(I'm getting there....) I believe the whole programme (arithmetic as
well as reading) for pre-school education was first developed by
Siegfried Engelmann at the University of Oregon, also Carl Bereiter
and Douglas Carnine. Some disliked it because it required teachers to
follow a rigid procedure of small steps, with lots of repetition and
reinforcement. However, there was good research evaluation, and it
really worked. I believe the Distar programme was the forerunner of
what is now "Direct Instruction"

I see that Amazon.com is currently selling _Direct Instruction
Reading_, 4th ed. by Douglas Carnine and others (also another for
Direct Instruction Mathematics). And Amazon  also lists a magazine
put out by a Direct Instruction Association. And in my file I have an
advertisement for a 1983 book intended for parents by Engelmann. It
says:

"The proven SRA DISTAR Reading program adapted for Parent and Child:
Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons".

Despite the hype, I think this programme has excellent scientific
credentials. I'm pleased to see it's still around.

Historical footnote:  In the famous incident documented in Michael
Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" where George Bush sits dumbfounded in the
classroom reading "The Pet Goat", well, that book turns out to be one
of Engelmann's in the Direct Instruction programme. The New Yorker
(Nov. 16/04)  has an interesting piece on this discovery, with a nice
description of Direct Instruction to boot at
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?040726ta_talk_radosh

 A more comprehensive source for information about Direct Instruction
is at a University of Oregon webpage at
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~adiep/rdgtxt.htm and
there might be more there if you explore around the site.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm