On 22 Mar 2005, DeVolder Carol L wrote:

> Stephen, how early did your daughters learn to read? Was the program
> successful for you and for them?

Nah, it didn't work. Both are now illiterate adults.

OK, kidding aside, they were both reading phonetically (real reading,
but not, you understand, War and Peace) by around their third
birthday. I didn't explicitly follow the DISTAR programme except in
spirit, but the readers were very helpful. One innovation, for
example, was to print silent "e''s (e.g. as in "have") in a very
small font, so they quickly learned to ignore it. But in the more
advanced readers, it was printed normal size. As reinforcers, I used
such stuff as froot loops and potato chips (half a chip at a time,
which they still recall with resentment), and agreeing to play the
world's most boring board game with them, something called "Curious
George". The neighbourhood was scandalized, the most common concern
being "But if you teach them to read too soon, won't they be bored in
school?"  I also made a primitive video (because videotaping _was_
primitive in those days) to document their early reading, but mostly
just to show my classes how cute they were.

Just one anecdote: my finest moment was when my younger daughter
(probably 3-4 years old at the time) casually read aloud from a
t-shirt an older cousin was wearing (fortunately, a non-scatological
message). It blew their minds.

Thanks, Paul (Brandon) for your url
http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/carnine.pdf  to the article by
Douglas Carnine, which generally confirms what I remember, and adds
interesting detail. I didn't know, but am not surprised to learn that
David Elkind (the devoted follower of Piaget) condemned the method,
as he long argued that the problem with reading instruction was that
it was started too early in school.

I was puzzled by the absence of any mention of Carl Bereiter, whom I
remember as an important contributer. So I went looking. He's still
around, currently at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
(University of Toronto), but his CV
http://ikit.org/people/~bereiter.html
doesn't mention Direct Instruction or DISTAR.

But the mystery is solved in an informative biography of Seigfried
Engelmann http://tinyurl.com/46vs2 where Bereiter's contribution to
the early Bereiter-Engelmann Preschool Programme is mentioned. That's
where I first heard about the readers. I was also delighted to learn
from the bio that Engelmann developed his programme by trying it out
first on his own children. That's what all us great psychologists do.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm