I tend to side with Joan on this one, but liked the sentences Don mentioned and plan on bringing them to my student's attention. In the 5th edition of the manual they are on p 302.

Patrick

Joan Warmbold wrote:
I'm confused here folks.  Do we want good thinking or good spelling?  The
latter should have been learned in grade school but, as we all know, for
many was not.  So I refuse to grade a student on how well they were or
were not taught by former teachers but, instead, on how well they are
willing to think through an idea presented in my class.  And please
consider--do you "grade" your friends on the quality of their ideas or on
how grammatically correct their thoughts are presented?

Joan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Associate Professor of Oakton Community College)

I'm at home and I don't have the APA manual to hand, but there are two
sentences that I read to my students. The first says something like, "Most
word processing packages now come with a spell checker." The second
sentence is very concise & clear. It is, "Use it." As a result I deduct
one point for every spelling error that would have been caught by a spell
checker. Despite my warnings students still hand in work that was not
checked. The current record holder got a -8 on a five point paper.

-Don.

michael sylvester said:

do you take off points for spellling?

Michael Sylvester,PhD